In this episode of #LUMEWARS by KeepTheTime, we wanted to match it up with The results were pleasantly unexpected!
Not only that, but look at how much longer the lume lasts on the Spinnaker. Again, another unexpected surprise. They are both using Japan made Luminova – the Seiko of course is using their own branded LumiBrite. The Spinnaker is just plain old Luminova.
Aside from the lume and diameter, these two watches have more in common:
- Both are 200m divers.
- Both are powered by Japanese automatic movements.
- Both are about the same retail price and pre-owned price.
- Both have 22m lugs.
- Both have similar dial layouts with circles, rectangles, and a triangle at 12:00.
Where you’ll notice the biggest differences in this comparison are:
- The hour hands: the Spinnaker Cahill has Rolex-like Mercedes symbol hour hand.
- The second hands: The Seiko has the lumed part of the hand in the back (some collectors hate this, others don’t mind). The Spinnaker has it in the front for easy tracking of the seconds in the dark.
- The bezel: The Seiko Scuba Diver has the much loved Pepsi bezel insert made out of aluminum, with a single lume dot at 12:00. The Spinnaker Cahill Diver’s bezel is made from hardlex (the same material as the crystal) with lume at every 5 minute marker.
- The hour markers: The Seiko lume is applied on the dial with a white painted background. The Spinnaker lume is applied within metallic rings. Also, the SKX009 doesn’t have an hour marker at 3:00 but the Spinnaker managed to squeeze one next to the date similar to an Omega Seamaster.
- The crowns: The Seiko crown is at 4:00. The Spinnaker is at 3:00.
- Calendars: The Seiko is a day/date. The Spinnaker only has the date.
Some other differences not seen on film:
- The casebacks: Seiko used a closed caseback. The Spinnaker watch has an exhibition style caseback to show the movement.
- The calibers: while both are Japan automatic movements, the Seiko is using a 7S26 while the Spinnaker has an NH35A.
- Thickness: The Seiko is 14mm and the Spinnaker is 16mm tall.
Find these watches in our shop here